3.07.2008

Just In Time For Airline

A couple of months ago I received an email from a band from Dallas Texas called Airline. They had some demo songs on their myspace and wanted to know what I thought. The first thing I said to myself was, "Airline? What kind of band name is that?" Curiosity then took over and I surfed on over to their site. Though the demos were rough (hence the term 'demo'), I really was taken by the four songs I heard. My ipod must of known this too, because it would always seem to play one of these demos every once and a while as if it was reminding me, "Don't forget about these guys!" Well...I didn't. They've just released their debut album, Farewell Republica, and I must say it's pretty sweet. It's really hard to believe this is their first album. The songs are superbly written and pack the emotional heat that keeps me interested all the way through. It's hard to pick out a highlight because every aspect is fairly polished (not over produced though). I could compare them to all sorts of prominent bands(Spoon, Wilco, The Shins, My Morning Jacket, Coldplay, Bends-era Radiohead), but this four piece really is standing on their own sound. You can find Airline playing various venues around Texas including this years SXSW. Hopefully they will come east soon. Right?

mp3: Airline - Denmark --> website --> buy
mp3: Airline - About To Bend

No comments: