2.07.2008

Age of The Epochs

The definition of the word epoch is a distinctive period of time. For a band, The Epochs have seemingly set the standards pretty high just with their name. But after seeing them live and spinning their new album a couple of times, I'm beginning to understand. The Epochs combine crisp indie electro pop music with the sweet falsetto harmonies of guitarist Hays and keyboardist Ryan. The vocals come across as top 40 pop, but somehow it doesn't bother me. I really don't know why. I think it's because I saw them live first. The energy Hays and Ryan put out on stage is powerful and beautiful. The passion for their music is clearly evident and quickly turn what could be average pop songs into driving emotional performances. All in all they captivated me from the first note to the last. When I listen to their album, I still feel it. I can't separate myself from the live show (Rock and Roll Hotel last year if you were wondering). They've got me. Go see them live (Mercury Lounge, February 12th). Then buy their album (On sale February 19th). You'll see. They'll get you too. Hmmm...I'm beginning to understand their name a little better now.

mp3: The Epochs - Love Complete --> website --> buy
mp3: The Epochs - Giving Tree

No comments: