1.01.2008

Retreadin 2007 Part 6




So I had this idea for my end of the year round up. I called it Retreadin 2007. Every couple of days there would be a post about the memorable albums of this year. There were supposed to be about ten parts to it, but you may have noticed that I've kind of slacked on it the last few weeks. 2007 is now over. Dang. So here we go with a final retreadin pulling together the rest of the albums that I listened to and enjoyed this past year.

The Shins - Wincing The Night Away
This wasn't the Shins strongest work by far, but I did find myself singing along with quite a few tracks on a regular basis.

mp3: The Shins - Split Needles --> buy

Figurines - When The Deer Wore Blue
Figurines turned out a great follow up to Skeleton. It may have lacked some of the tenacity, but gained a deeper and emotional quality. I have a feeling these guys are just getting started.

mp3: Figurines - Drunkard's Dream --> buy

Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank
There was a lot of hype surrounding the release of this album. Aside from it being a new MM release, the addition of Johnny Marr made everyone perk their ears up. The album didn't blow me away at first, but the last couple of songs on the album really are powerful and have made their way into my permanent rotation. I'm pretty sure it's impossible for these guys to put out a bad album.

mp3: Modest Mouse - People As Places As People --> buy

Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog
I must admit, up until this album, I really didn't care too much for Iron & Wine. There was never enough there for me. On The Shepherd's Dog, I&W gather sounds and rhythms from around the world and sew them into their pleasant folk songs. The end result is a powerful masterpiece.

mp3: Iron & Wine - Boy With A Coin --> buy

Handsome Furs - Plague Park
Sometimes side projects really sound like side projects. Not this time. Dan Boeckner of Wolf Parade and his wife Alexei Perry hooked up their drum machines, guitars, and synthesizers for Plague Park, and ended up producing some stunning lo-fi music.

mp3: Handsome Furs - Dead & Rural --> buy

Sea Wolf - Leaves In The River
Mr. Church definitely put out a gem worthy of many folks top album lists. His lonesome voice combined with beautiful production put this album on repeat many times throughout this year. And they killed it live.

mp3: Sea Wolf - Black Dirt --> buy

White Stripes - Icky Thump
Like Modest Mouse, can White Stripes produce a bad album? Nope. They cranked up the intensity for this one too.

mp3: White Stripes - Rag and Bone --> buy

John Vanderslice - Emerald City
'The Slice', as I call him, has done it again. He produces solid indie rock time and time again. It's nice to see him starting to get a little more press, because he has earned it. Pitchfork kind of slammed him for the repetitive lyrical theme of 9/11 on this and ahis previous album. While that may be true, I think his playing on each album has progressed and improved. Keep it up Slice.

mp3: John Vanderslice - The Tower --> buy

Caribou - Andorra
Daniel Snaith puts out another masterpiece of slightly off beat indie electronica! Hooray!

mp3: Caribou - Sandy --> buy

Well there you have it. I'm sure I've left some out, because frankly, my memory isn't so good. Feel free to chime in on what your favorites were.

No comments: